First Grade Portraits

 This is an example of a project that improves each time you do it. We made these portraits during the first year that I taught elementary art. At that time I used a head and shoulder template because I was afraid that the students wouldn't be able to draw those shapes. The only way for kids to learn is for them to try and to practice drawing. This assignment has evolved and now includes learning how to draw a mouth that is not simple a line, and how to draw eyes that are not simple circles. My how we have grown! This year I spiced it up by offering decorative scrapbook paper to make the shoulders. First graders love a little bit of free choice. It is a challenge for this age group to understand how to make the rounded shoulders. I used a windshield wiper motion! There are lots of challenges here--and as you can see, these faces are unique--not cookie cutter at all!






Comments